Céline Guillou is a member of Hopkins & Carley’s Corporate Practice in the Palo Alto office. Céline’s practice focuses on data privacy law and compliance, with a particular focus on the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California privacy laws, as well as IP licensing, technology agreements, product development, and overall business risk assessments.
Céline holds the certificate for Certified Information Privacy Professional Europe (CIPP/E) from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), the global standard in privacy certification. The CIPP/E demonstrates a strong knowledge of European privacy laws and regulations such as the GDPR.
Céline advises private and public company clients companies in a wide range of industries, including gaming, property management, B2B, e-commerce, Saas, IoT, and hospitality.
Prior to joining Hopkins & Carley, she focused on privacy compliance and technology transactions at Paradigm Counsel.
- Advised broad range of technology companies on privacy-related matters and strategy: coordinate with internal stakeholders to map data flows and assess privacy-related risks (particularly with respect to “adtech” and controller/processor relationships).
- Advised on internal governance and accountability requirements, and drafted internal policies, records of processing activities and training materials.
- Counseled clients on transparency requirements: drafted consumer-facing privacy policies, informed consent mechanisms (CMPs) and other notices required under GDPR.
- Drafted, reviewed and negotiated data processor, independent controller and joint controller agreements.
- Advised on compliance with specific US privacy legislation; advised on CCPA readiness and upcoming requirements, including data mapping, consumer rights, and vendor agreements.
- Drafted terms of service and site use policies for a broad range of technology platforms and websites, including retail, SaaS and IoT companies.
- Draft commercial contracts for technology and retail companies, including IP licensing and merchandising, SDK agreements, SaaS agreements, general business contracts, consulting agreements, and vendor agreements.
- Drafted and negotiated numerous nondisclosure and proprietary information agreements.
- The Privacy Hacker, Co-editor
- The Reverse Engineering of Computer Software in Europe and the United States: A Comparative Approach, 22 COLUM.-VLA J. L. & ARTS 533 (1998).
Selected Speaking Engagements
- CCPA: It’s Go Time, January 2019
- Are you Prepared for All of the New Privacy Laws?, September 2019
- State Bar of California
J.D., Columbia University School of Law Masters of Law, University of Paris