Services that Span the Life Cycle
For decades, many industrial and manufacturing businesses throughout Northern California have relied heavily on Hopkins & Carley for broad-based support. Our experience has given us a deep appreciation of the entrepreneurism of this sector, and insight into its particular issues and unique practices. Our broad array of specialized expertise allows us to work with clients throughout their life cycle – from assistance with early stage financings and real estate issues, to employment and intellectual property counseling, all the way to later stage succession planning and exit strategies.
- Represented San Jose Jet Center, Inc. and ACM Aviation, Inc. in their $163 million equity sale to Macquarie Infrastructure Company, an owner and operator of infrastructure businesses in the US.
- Represented Glasforms, Inc., a leading manufacturer of glass and carbon fiber reinforced polymers and advanced composite products, in its $34 million sale to PolyOne Corporation, a public company and provider of specialized polymer materials, services and solutions.
- Won summary judgment for a medical device manufacturing company in a state court action involving claims for disability discrimination in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act failure to engage in the interactive process, failure to provide reasonable accommodation, retaliation, and wrongful termination.
- Obtained an early dismissal of a design patent infringement action filed against a manufacturer of light emitting diodes used in consumer electronics.
- Represented Applied Motion Products, Inc., in a $16 million stock sale to Shanghai Moons’ Electric, Ltd.
- Represented individual owners of Air Systems, Inc., in connection with the sale of Air Systems, Inc. to EMCOR.
- Represented an international manufacturer of office products in a software copyright infringement action.
- In a complex case that involved numerous issues of fact and law, we defeated a motion to certify a class action lawsuit for violation of overtime laws filed by a group of truck drivers against a West Coast petroleum distributor.
- Won summary judgment in state court for a technical measurement device company sued by a former employee terminated based on poor performance and financial impropriety in connection with claimed employment-related expenses.
- Represented successful purchaser of Chapter 11 debtor’s packing machinery business unit and related assets in a competitive auction; subsequently documented and facilitated time sensitive sale closing.
- Won a complete defense verdict for the world’s largest manufacturer of mozzarella and pizza cheese in a federal jury trial involving a $1.3 million breach of contract claim, which was named as one of the "2006 Top Defense Verdicts” by the San Francisco Daily Journal.
NLRB Attempts to Make Union Organizing Easier: News about Union Issues Non-Union Employers Need to Know
With union membership falling in 2015 to just 6.7% of the American private sector workforce, it is no secret that the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) is doing whatever can be done to reverse tha... Read more »