Shirley Jackson is an associate in Hopkins & Carley’s San Jose office. Her practice primarily focuses on litigating employment-related disputes and representing employers in state and federal court regarding claims of:
- Wrongful termination
- Breach of contract
- Unfair competition
- Class action and single plaintiff wage and hour claims
Shirley provides advice and counsel to employers on many of the same issues affecting the workplace listed above, as well as other day-to-day legal issues.
In addition to judicial proceedings, Shirley represents clients before various regulatory agencies, such as the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the California Labor Commissioner’s Office.
- Won a complete defense award plus attorneys’ fees while representing a marketing and advertising services company in a binding arbitration involving a claim for wrongful termination by a former executive.
- Won summary judgment for a medical device manufacturing company in a state court action involving claims for disability discrimination in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), failure to engage in the interactive process, failure to provide reasonable accommodation, retaliation, and wrongful termination in violation of public policy.
- Won a complete defense verdict for the world’s largest manufacturer of mozzarella and pizza cheese, in a federal jury trial involving a $1.3 million breach of contract claim brought by a Texas energy company – San Francisco Daily Journal listed as one of the 2006 Top Defense Verdicts.
- Won a $10 million award for a breach of contract claim, plus attorneys' fees, in a high-profile binding arbitration involving complex real estate and tax issues.
- Won a dismissal of all substantive claims asserted against an apartment complex owner in federal court by several fair housing organizations, which sought certification of a nationwide defendant class for alleged disability access issues in violation of the Fair Housing Act.
- Won multiple favorable determinations from the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board denying unemployment benefits to the clients' former employees after administrative law hearings.
- National Organization of Women Business Owners, San Francisco Chapter, Member and Committee Member
- Project Homeless Connect, Past Volunteer
- Rebuilding Together San Francisco, Past Co-Captain and Volunteer
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- State Bar of California (1999)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- All Courts of the State of California
- J.D. (magna cum laude ), University of San Francisco
- B.A. (magna cum laude), Psychology & Political Science, California State University, Chico