Meeting the Needs of Our Clients
Having started in the heart of Silicon Valley in 1968, Hopkins & Carley understands the economic, market, cultural and regulatory climate in which technology companies operate. Our lawyers use this experience and knowledge to provide clients with current, strategic and practical legal advice on the complex issues they face.
- Represented Building Data, a software pioneer in Building Information Management, in its sale to Trimble, Inc., a public company focused on solutions that optimize the complete Design-Build-Operate (DBO) lifecycle of buildings.Successfully defended two technology companies and three of their engineers in a case involving claims for more than $100 million based on alleged unfair competition and breach of non-solicitation covenants.
- Won injunctive relief for one of the world’s largest semiconductor companies in a complex unfair competition dispute involving the misappropriation of trade secrets and solicitation of company employees.
- For a developer of automotive component technologies, licensed patents and know-how in order to successfully commercialize the technologies for use in global automobile manufacturing.
- Successfully represented a leading flash memory maker in various patent infringement suits before the ITC and in federal district courts.
- Successfully defended high tech startup company in a commercial eviction lawsuit alleging that the client’s lease was illegal because San Francisco’s zoning ordinances did not permit “office” use in that location.
- Represented brand-name electronics and computer manufacturers in a patent infringement suit involving microprocessor and clocking system design.
- Successfully represented a publicly-traded semiconductor company and several individuals against multi-million claim stemming from alleged poaching of employees.
- Represented Bay Area Internet Services (BAIS), a colocation provider in Santa Clara with a Tier IV facility, in its sale to The Stephens Group.
- Prepared multiple licensing structures for software for use in enterprise mode in local network environments, for website SaaS deployment, and as app-enabled access to cloud systems.
- Structured reorganization of a software distributor to facilitate the development of proprietary software through offshore subsidiaries; prepared related licenses, online agreements and policies for the delivery of cloud-based data services.
- Assisted a public security software and systems company in the preparation of license and service agreements with government agencies and foreign governments, license enforcement, and litigation.
- Represented a software startup in its acquisition by a large public technology company as a means of transferring a valuable patent portfolio and technology.
- Represented a multinational security technology company in corporate restructuring, funding, developing an ESOP, protection of the company’s patent and trademark assets, and its acquisition by a public company.
- Represented a public purchaser of a private company holding early stage processor technology; structured and implemented a plan to hold and secure the company’s IP to avoid entanglement with purchaser’s cross-licensing obligations during initial development and milestones.
- Obtained a complete defense award for a global technology company in claim by an Eastern European distributor for failure to reimburse it for local taxes.
- Represented a public computer manufacturer and wholesaler in a harassment lawsuit filed by the company’s vice president.
- Obtained terminating sanctions on behalf of a leading circuit design and EDA software company in a trade secret misappropriation action.
- Represented a Silicon Valley-based company in a patent infringement action relating to network load balancing technology.
- Represented maker of graphics processing cards in a trademark infringement and unfair competition lawsuit.
- Represented client in a trade secret misappropriation and unfair competition action relating to electron beam wafer inspection technology.
- Represented a leader in Voice over Internet Protocol technology in a software copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation action.
- Represented a global consumer electronics company in registering brand marks in major international and developing markets and selecting and clearing product marks for registration and use. Also served as advisory counsel in proceedings in foreign jurisdictions to protect and enforce company’s rights.
- Represented a software developer, online platform and data company in designing strategies to protect developed content and software using a collage of legal protection, and in registering product marks to establish distinct lines of business and sales channels for its various products and services.