For decades, our Sports Law attorneys have been meeting the unique and discreet demands of business transactions in the professional sports world. Clients in a number of professional sports, including ice hockey (NHL), professional auto racing (NASCAR), and minor league baseball, have turned to Hopkins & Carley for assistance in a variety of matters.
We work with our clients to identify critical issues and create an outstanding, multi-disciplinary legal team We call upon attorneys skilled in litigation, intellectual property, trademark and copyright, real estate, corporate finance and governance, banking and arena/stadium finance, local governmental relations and other fields, as appropriate, to deliver efficient and effective solutions for our clients’ complex problems.
- Represented investors in the acquisition of multiple NHL franchises.
- Successfully worked to attract an ownership group for an NHL expansion franchise for newly funded arena.
- Represented sports agent in structuring deferred contract payments for non-US based athlete.
- Assisted in the formation of an investment group to acquire and operate AAA professional baseball franchise.
- Assisted a professional sports league in resurrecting insolvent team.
- Represented ownership group in acquiring and relocating minor league baseball team.
- Negotiated team stadium leases for multiple minor league baseball teams.
- Assisted sports agent in structuring numerous contracts for professional and college football coaches.
- Represented a team ownership group in privately funded baseball stadium construction.
- Advised professional baseball franchise team owner on legal and tax implications of relocating from Canada to US.