Extensive Practice Expertise
Providing clients with direct access to seasoned litigators is the key to getting good results. Senior, experienced attorneys work closely with clients to identify objectives and to develop cost-effective and practical strategies and solutions. In addition, our litigation attorneys can draw upon colleagues in different practice areas to construct a comprehensive approach to solving clients’ problems.
Clients range from high net worth individuals and middle market businesses to large, privately held entities and publicly traded companies. We have deep expertise across multiple practices, including:
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Dispute Resolution Services
- Employment & Labor
- Financial Institutions & Creditors’ Rights
- Intellectual Property
- Land Use & Property Rights
- Real Estate
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- Won $14 million verdict in our client’s claim of fraud against a hedge fund in which he had invested. Despite an oral agreement, we convinced the jury that the defendant’s claims weren’t consistent with prior conduct.
- Defended property owner in a $15 million claim in a private enforcement action for alleged Coastal Act violations.
- Prevailed in complex construction defect trial resulting in $7.5 million verdict plus attorney’s fees and interest.
- Represented a global industrial manufacturer in a product defect claim against one of the company’s foreign suppliers. Won a $5.5 million verdict in a federal jury trial and obtained a subsequent satisfactory settlement before appeal.
- Represented a regional bank in a $20 million construction loan default with the project about 75 percent complete. While the court-appointed receiver completed construction, our litigators obtained writs of attachment against the guarantors. We negotiated short sale of the project after completion and stipulation for judgment against the guarantors, and avoidance of a potential suit against our client.
- Represented a materials supplier who was sued for a breach of contract claim. Won at trial and defended the verdict on appeal, obtaining full payment of the judgment.
- Successfully litigated a subcontractor’s claim for payment in a residential high-rise construction project.
- Represented a West Coast petroleum distributor in a class action suit regarding misclassified employees. The case settled on terms that were favorable for our client.
- Represented a publicly traded technology company in a harassment matter. The lawsuit was resolved effectively and practices were put in place to protect against similar claims in the future.
- Represented brand-name electronics and computer manufacturers in a patent infringement suit involving microprocessor and clocking system design.
- Obtained multi-million dollar non-dischargeable judgment against principal of borrower who falsified financial information.
- Represented the owners of mobile home parks in the permitting process and in litigation to get approval to close parks and convert them to other uses.
- “Trial Pros: Hopkins & Carley's Jeff Essner ,” May 31, 2016:
- “Dori Yob named to Silicon Valley Business Journal's "40 Under 40",” May 25, 2016
- “New Money Means Opportunity for Valley Firm,” February 3, 2016
- “Hopkins & Carley Continues Expansion,” January 28, 2016
- “Shareholder Dori Yob Elected Chair of San Jose Planning Commission,” January 20, 2015