Broad Scope of Expertise
Our team has extensive experience in all areas of business and civil litigation, in both federal and state courts. Businesses and individuals turn to our commercial litigators in cases involving simple to complex commercial disputes, including:
- Contract claims
- Commercial purchases and sales
- Commercial leases
- Business torts
- Complex inter-creditor litigation
- Dealer and distributor disputes
- Fraud and unfair competition claims
- Construction disputes
- Matters involving Articles 3 and 4 of the Uniform Commercial Code
We develop a thorough understanding of our client’s business before we create a litigation strategy that addresses the client’s needs and goals. The skill, experience, and judgment that our attorneys bring to arbitration, mediation and trial also make our team highly effective in achieving favorable results in a cost-effective and efficient manner.
Hopkins & Carley's long standing policy of having its attorneys serve as volunteer arbitrators and temporary settlement judges for the Santa Clara Superior Court adds to our skills in resolving matters without trial as well as building a strong reputation with the bench. When necessary or appropriate, we litigate cases to conclusion, with or without trial.
- Won $14 million verdict for our client who claimed fraud against a hedge fund in which he had invested. Despite an oral agreement, we convinced the jury that the defendant’s claims were not consistent with prior conduct.
- Represented a global industrial manufacturer in a product defect claim against one of the company’s foreign suppliers. Won a $5.5 million verdict in a federal jury trial and negotiated a settlement before appeal.
- Represented a regional bank in a $20 million construction-loan default case when the project was about 75 percent complete. While the court-appointed receiver completed construction, our litigators obtained writs of attachment against the guarantors. We negotiated a short-sale of the project after completion a stipulated judgment against the guarantors, avoiding a potential suit against our client.
- “Trial Pros: Hopkins & Carley's Jeff Essner,” May 31, 2016
- “Dori Yob named to Silicon Valley Business Journal's ‘40 Under 40’," May 25, 2016
- “New Money Means Opportunity for Valley Firm,” February 3, 2016
- “Hopkins & Carley Continues Expansion,” January 28, 2016
- “Shareholder Dori Yob Elected Chair of San Jose Planning Commission,” January 20, 2015