Steven Ellenberg is a member of Hopkins & Carley’s Litigation and Trial Practice Group. Steve represents a wide range of clients in commercial, intellectual property and probate disputes in Silicon Valley and throughout California, and in both state and federal courts.
Steve has nearly three decades of trial experience and has litigated significant cases for high-profile clients, e.g., Caliper Technologies and Linear Technology. He also has extensive experience with trust and estate litigation. Steve is a skilled negotiator who has successfully resolved multiple cases for clients prior to trial.
In 2011, the San Jose Metro named Steve as the “Best Litigator” in San Jose. Ellenberg also has an AV preeminent rating from Martindale Hubbell and been named a Northern California “Super Lawyer” every year since 2006.
Prior to joining Hopkins & Carley, Steve was the founding partner at Ellenberg & Hull and a partner at Ruby & Schofield.
- Barrous v. BP and Conoco Phillips. Obtained significant settlement for clients arising out of contamination after defeating four separate motions for summary judgment or partial summary judgment.
- Caliper Technologies v. Applera. Obtained $56 million verdict in favor of client in trade secret misappropriation case. The case was a top 10 verdict in California in 2010 as reported by the California Law Journal.
- Hamlin v. Zohuri. Obtained $400,000 judgment in favor of client in fraud and breach of contract case.
- McLean v. Volpe, Brown, Whelan Asset Management. Obtained $13.5 million verdict in favor of client for fraud and breach of contract including punitive damages. This case was a top 10 verdict in California in 2005 as reported by the California Law Journal.
- Nguyen v. Global Equipment and Manufacturing Services, Inc. Defeated claim for indemnity at trial ultimately resulting in the dismissal of a multi-million rescission claim.
- PQ Labs v. Zaagtech. Obtained significant award of general damages, punitive damages and attorneys’ fees as well as a worldwide injunction in Federal Trade secret case.
- Obtained multi-million dollar bad faith settlement (confidential) against insurance carrier after defeating seven separate motions for summary judgment or partial summary judgment.
- Schiro v. Catlett. Obtained $3.5 million alter ego decision in favor of client following two week bench trial.
Trust & Estate Litigation
- Obtained judgment of non-suit in favor of clients against damage claims in excess of $30 million following a three week elder abuse trial.
- Successfully defended claim that clients forged their parents’ trust and obtained an award of $900,000 in legal fees following a four week trial.
- Obtained order restoring property converted by Elder’s Accountant to the trust following four week trial.
- Petitioners dismissed 850 petition following three days of trial.
- Rotary Club of San Jose, Program Committee Chair
- Jewish Federation of Silicon Valley, Past President (2011-2012)
- State Bar of California (1990)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Ninth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law
- B.A., [History], (Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa), University of California, Berkeley,