Hopkins & Carley, a well-established law firm with offices in downtown San Jose and in Redwood City, has an opening for an experienced, full-time Administrative Support Manager. The Administrative Support Manager provides day-to-day management and supervision of the firm’s Legal Executive Assistants (LEAs; aka “legal secretaries”) and Word Processing (WP) staff in the San Jose and Redwood City offices. The Administrative Support Manager also provides other administrative support necessary to assist the Firm's LEAs, WP and timekeepers to function in a productive and efficient manner. This position reports to the Executive Director, Administration (EDA) and is based in San Jose, but will work 2 days per week in the Redwood City Office.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Manages, supervises, coaches and provides guidance to LEAs and WP staff, including the floater LEA. Leads with a strong customer service orientation.
- Coordinates and monitors LEA and WP staffing and workloads to achieve optimal levels of staff utilization; works with department chairs and practice group leaders to determine timekeeper/LEA assignments and manages timekeeper/LEA ratios to ensure support needs are being met and workloads are manageable; arranges after-hours support as needed.
- Oversees and directs the daily assignment and activities of the floater LEA to ensure adequate coverage where needed; monitors floater LEA capacity and workload.
- Supervises recruiting of LEAs and WP staff, including reviewing resumes, conducting phone screens, scheduling interviews, making hiring decisions with affected timekeepers, onboarding and post-onboarding follow-up; assigns go-to LEA mentor/resource for new hires.
- Monitors and manages day-to-day LEA and WP employee relations and personnel issues, keeping the EDA apprised of general issues and elevating any serious issues; partners with and consults the EDA on finding resolution.
- Manages the day-to-day performance of LEAs and WP staff; documents and addresses performance issues as needed; writes 90-day and annual performance evaluations and conducts review meetings with LEAs and WP staff; manages the annual performance evaluation process for LEAs and WP staff; reviews all LEA performance evaluations submitted by others.
- Plans and develops training opportunities for new and tenured LEAs and WP staff; coordinates with IT concerning software and technical skills training for LEAs and WP staff. Plans and conducts LEA meetings at regular intervals.
- A variety of other related administrative duties.
Prior work experience as and a thorough understanding of the LEA (legal secretary) role within a law firm and at least 5 years of experience in all aspects of managing/supervising a team is required. Bachelor’s degree or other post-secondary education preferred. Must be highly motivated, a self-starter, detail oriented, project a positive, customer-service attitude, and possess exceptional interpersonal skills. Ideal candidates will also have excellent organizational, written/verbal communication, and time management skills.
We offer competitive compensation/benefits and the opportunity to be part of a great team at a highly- regarded law firm. Please submit your cover letter and resume to HR@hopkinscarley.com.
Hopkins & Carley is an equal opportunity employer and was named a 2019 Best Place to Work by the San Francisco Business Times and the Silicon Valley Business Journal!