Businesses in the highly regulated medical and adult-use cannabis industries face a myriad of federal, state and local laws and regulations that are pertinent to cannabis cultivation, manufacturing and retail. In addition, many traditional business activities are ancillary to core cannabis business functions.
Cannabis growers, distributors, processors, investors, retailers and others, including landlords of growers, can turn to Hopkins & Carley for practical and efficient advice on the wide array of legal issues arising from legal cannabis business activities, including:
- Formation, organization and structuring
- Conversion from non-profit to profit
- State and local licensing
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Debt & equity financing
- Banking and finance
- Protecting intellectual property
- Real estate development
- Trademark & copyright
- Land use & zoning
- Employment counseling & litigation
- Represented a cannabis manufacturer in an equity purchase transaction relating to a rollup controlled by a Canadian parent entity.
- Represented a national company in determining how to meet their banking requirements while selling products to cannabis businesses.
- Represented a cannabis distributor regarding their startup and financing activity.
- Represented Silicon Valley Cannabis Alliance in their formation and advised the founders.
- Represented the buyer in an asset purchase transaction for a vertically integrated cannabis operator that includes retail operations.
- Represented cannabis manufacturer regarding their startup activity.
- Represented landlord relating to property proposed for a cannabis manufacturing operation.
- Represented a creditor of a cannabis business by securing the debt with all assets of the business, and subsequently filing an action in the Superior Court. Obtained court order for the appointment of a receiver to operate the business and preserve the creditor’s rights in the collateral.
- Advised clients on federal and state registration of cannabis trademarks.
- Represented cannabis brand owner in enforcement of IP against out of state cannabis dispensary.