Joan Gallo is a member of Hopkins & Carley’s Real Estate Practice in the San Jose office. Her primary focus is on land use, constitutional, environmental and municipal law.
Joan represents property owners, developers, businesses and others with local government issues on a wide variety of matters, including entitlement matters with regard to residences for high worth clients. She has successfully briefed and argued before the United States Supreme Court and the California Supreme Court.
Prior to entering private practice, Joan spent 15 years as the City Attorney for the City of San Jose, serving as the chief legal advisor to the City Council, its boards, commissions and City departments. Previously, as Senior Deputy City Attorney, she served as legal advisor to the Planning Commission and Planning Department.
While serving as City Attorney, Joan was also appointed as General Counsel to the San Jose Redevelopment Agency.
- Represented a waste management company in successfully defending a CEQA challenge and rezoning its property for both landfill and recycling uses.
- Represented a country club with regard to entitlements for a major golf course renovation project.
- Represents a developer in all phases of entitlement for assisted living projects.
- Planned Parenthood Mar Monte, Board Member
- State Bar of California (1975)
- J.D. (magna cum laude), Santa Clara University
- B.S., Psychology, Boston University