Jeff Ratinoff is an intellectual property litigator in Hopkins & Carley’s San Jose office. Jeff has more than 15 years of experience advocating on behalf of clients in technology-driven litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts, and the International Trade Commission.
His patent litigation practice includes representing clients in the following sectors:
- Computer design and manufacturing companies
- Data storage device manufacturers
- Software companies
- Smartphone and tablet makers
- Network security providers
- Semiconductor and memory chip fabricators
- Electro-optical device manufacturers
- Defense and firearms industries
Jeff also has extensive experience protecting and defending clients’ intellectual property rights in trade secret misappropriation, trademark infringement, unfair competition, anti-piracy, false advertising, trade libel and copyright infringement matters.
Complementing his extensive litigation experience, he regularly advises clients on intellectual property protection and enforcement programs, including implementing procedures and safeguards for protecting inventions, trade secrets and other confidential information. Jeff counsels clients on pre-litigation, administrative enforcement, brand protection and anti-counterfeiting strategies. He also provides strategic counseling to clients on creating, valuing, licensing and registering intellectual property.
In addition to his intellectual property practice, Jeff represents clients in disputes relating to the ownership, operation and break-up of limited liability companies, corporations and other closely-held businesses. These disputes often involve fiduciary duties, asset distribution and control over an entity.
Jeff participates in Hopkins & Carley's pro bono partnership with the Santa Clara County Public Defender’s Office to take trial-level felony cases and appeals.
Prior to joining Hopkins & Carley, Jeff was a Partner in the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group at K&L Gates LLP.
- Obtained a writ of mandamus from the Federal Circuit overturning the Eastern District of Texas’ denial of a motion to stay or transfer a patent infringement action to the Northern District of California.
- Successfully represented a leading flash memory maker in various patent infringement suits before the ITC and in federal district courts.
- Represented brand-name electronics and computer manufacturers in a patent infringement suit involving microprocessor and clocking system design.
- Obtained terminating sanctions on behalf of a leading circuit design and EDA software company in a trade secret misappropriation action.
- Represented a Silicon Valley-based company in a patent infringement action relating to network load balancing technology.
- Represented an international manufacturer of office products in a software copyright infringement action.
- Obtained an early dismissal of a design patent infringement action filed against a manufacturer of light emitting diodes used in consumer electronics.
- Represented maker of graphics processing cards in a trademark infringement and unfair competition lawsuit.
- Represented client in a trade secret misappropriation and unfair competition action relating to electron beam wafer inspection technology.
- Represented a leader in Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology in a software copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation action.
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, member and former Chair of the Executive Committee of the High Tech Law Section
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association
- Vanderbilt Alumni Association
- Youth coach for the West Valley Red Hawks Lacrosse Club
- State Bar of California (1998)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- J.D., Vanderbilt Law School
- B.A. (magna cum laude), Political Science and History, University of California, San Diego