Public Entity Employment
Our Employment Law attorneys provide clear, practical, and comprehensive public employment law advice to counties, cities, school districts, county offices of education, special districts, and joint powers agencies. We have the experience you need to guide you through the entire public employment life cycle—from advertising for new employees to terminations. Public employers operate in a complex legal and political environment. They not only have to contend with all of the laws and regulations faced by private sector employers, they must also abide by complicated and evolving constitutional requirements.
Our attorneys partner with public employers to provide a comprehensive array of employment law services in the following areas:
- Avoidance of discrimination and harassment liability, for such reasons as age, race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and religion, including policy development, training of managers and supervisors, and investigation of complaints
- Hiring issues, including EEO compliance, drafting of employment agreements, and preparation of employment policies
- Leaves and benefits issues
- Labor relations under the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act (MMBA) and the Educational Employment Relations Act (EERA)—see the description under our Labor Relations Law Group for a comprehensive listing of services in this area
- Wage and hour compliance
- Reductions in force
- Discipline and termination planning, including litigation risk assessment, due process rights, and compliance with the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights
- Employment litigation, including civil writs, administrative hearings, and federal Section 1983 actions.