The Letitia Building
70 South First Street
click to email
- State Bar of California (1985)
- American Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- Juris Doctor
University of California, Hastings
- BA, Psychology
State University of New York (SUNY)
Jeff’s litigation practice is concentrated on complex real estate, construction, business, commercial litigation, and securities arbitration. He has extensive experience in both jury and non-jury trials and binding arbitration, as well as mediation. Jeff has exceptional skill for developing litigation strategy to resolve cases on terms advantageous to his clients, whether at mediation or at trial. Over the past three years Jeff has been lead counsel in a number of lengthy trials and arbitrations including:
- $14 million verdict following a five-week jury trial on a case involving complex loan transactions between two founders of a national mortgage bank. Affirmed on appeal.
- Successfully defended a property owner against claims for easements by prescription and necessity. Affirmed on appeal.
- $14.8 million judgment, including $10 million in punitive damages, after a two-week bench trial on a fraudulent transfer and malicious prosecution case.
- Successfully partitioned in trial, hundreds of acres of redwoods property resulting in the shaping of Butano State Park in San Mateo County.
- Defended a $20 million claim on behalf of a real estate fund manager for fraud and concealment in a three-week binding arbitration involving complex issues arising from a failed real estate project in East Palo Alto.
Jeff has also successfully tried to verdict numerous cases involving business fraud, unfair competition, easements, partition, breach of contract, breach of lease, and construction defects.
Jeff is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and he is past chair of the firm’s Litigation Department. He serves as judge pro tem for the Santa Clara County Superior Court. He is a member of the United States District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California, and belongs to the American Bar Association. He is also an arbitrator for the Santa Clara County Superior Court.
- Member, Hopkins & Carley Executive Committee
- Judge pro tem, Santa Clara County Superior Court
- Arbitrator, Santa Clara County Superior Court